Quick Tips if You’re in a Water Damage Emergency
When a water damage disaster occurs in your home, the 1st and most overlooked thing is safety and the correct sequence of what you should do. Below is a short, fast and easy to follow checklist for you to refer to:
- Contact your insurance carrier right away.
- Your safety is of primary concern – stay clear of any damaged areas.
- If safely possible, move furniture or other items of value to an unaffected area of your home to prevent further damage to them.
- Make a list of everything that has been damaged or destroyed for your insurance adjuster. Take pictures or movies of the damage sustained.
- Do not try to clean damaged items. Cleaning damaged items without the proper equipment can do more harm than good.
- Do not make any permanent repairs or replacements until your insurance company has seen the damage and are able to make their assessments.
- Save all receipts of any temporary necessary (for safety reason) repairs that are made. They may be forwarded to your insurance company for repayment.
This can be a hectic event, but by following this simple order of actions, everything will be back to normal in a more organized way.